Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nollaig Casey - fiddler  (Read 34488 times)
richard

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 11:21AM »

yes i did tape  there are two part  u know part 1 and 2 plus there have been several other item on Ireland on HD net.  It is a short piece around 15 mins Ray was going over some of how they recorded i think the piece was from 2002
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 12:00PM by richard » Logged
Jason

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2008, 01:14AM »

Funny.. she also performed with the Clancy Brothers at their reunion concert! I can't spot her in the video, but she is in the credits of this video..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvl1TJyq5QU

and then, you can watch her do the same song along and a bit of a Clancy tribute with the High Kings in this one..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uGiAFEGqxc

Grin

Arty McGlynn also apparently played guitar in the Clancy video
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 01:28AM by Jason » Logged

hesprit
Total Fanatic

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008, 01:20PM »

How do you pronounce her name?

According to a pretty good site I found (well, looks good to me, Maggie can probably let us know if it's as good as I think) ... her first name is pronounced "null + ig" and translates as Noel or Noelle.

I'm not certain of the pronunciation of the Gaelic version of Nollaig's last name, I'm afraid.
Emily!
Honorary Roadie

Mission Accomplished :)

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2008, 04:30PM »

How do you pronounce her name?

According to a pretty good site I found (well, looks good to me, Maggie can probably let us know if it's as good as I think) ... her first name is pronounced "null + ig" and translates as Noel or Noelle.

I'm not certain of the pronunciation of the Gaelic version of Nollaig's last name, I'm afraid.

I was trying to figure this out as well and checked out several sites too. I wonder if Maggie could help us?  Grin

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
Maggie
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2008, 12:23AM »

I was trying to figure this out as well and checked out several sites too. I wonder if Maggie could help us?  Grin

Yes, Nollaig Ní Chathasaigh is pronounced Nullig Nee Casey.

Nollaig means Christmas, as does Noel.

The ' Ní ' means Chathasaigh (Casey) is her maiden name.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 12:27AM by Maggie » Logged
Emily!
Honorary Roadie

Mission Accomplished :)

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2008, 04:09PM »

Yes, Nollaig Ní Chathasaigh is pronounced Nullig Nee Casey.

Nollaig means Christmas, as does Noel.

The ' Ní ' means Chathasaigh (Casey) is her maiden name.

Thank you, Maggie!

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart."
hesprit
Total Fanatic

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 04:04PM »

Ahhh, thanks Maggie!

The "ath" portion of Chathasaigh was the part that was throwing me a bit.  I could see "Casey" coming from the rest, but didn't consider the "ath" might be effectiviely silent in pronunciation.
nbrock

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2008, 11:40AM »

Nollaig blows me away with her skill!  She makes playing that fiddle look like child's play.  I sure hope she makes the trip this fall for the US tour. Would love to hear her in person & get the chance to let her know how much we love her.
Sept. will be here soon....cant wait!
Norma
timi

Misic gives life more meaning!

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2008, 10:02PM »

Should see Shannon and Sean dancing around the living room when she play The Beggerman Jig. And hubby is completely enthralled with her playing...he has a fiddle and is trying to learn to play it - by ear (shakes head and holds hands over ears on some days) Wink
nbrock

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2008, 08:28AM »

Grin Grin  I can just picture that.  I talked with Mairead about an ole' gal like me learning the fiddle.  She said I should go for it!! But she giggled & said I should expect to cover my ears with the awful sounds I'd get in the beginning!  Timi, your comment reminded me of that lovely conversation with my other favorite fiddler!  Thanks!
Norma
nbrock

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2008, 02:14PM »

Grin
Nollaig is indeed performing with the High Kings US tour.  She is perfection...makes it look soooo easy. 
What a show!!!
Norma
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: