Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Blog Post!  (Read 46647 times)
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« on: September 09, 2008, 10:34AM »

UPDATE!!!!!

Well this is it the very first show of our very first U.S Tour and we cant tell you enough how excited we are all to be in Baltimore, we are ready to Folk n' Roll.

Let me tell you about the last few days

We left Ireland on Wed last and went straight into rehearsals for two days including a great radio interview with NPR. From there we flew home on Sat to arrive in Sunday morning to sing in Croke Park our National Stadium. With the adrenalin pumping we walked on to pitch with 82,000 spectators and it was an incredible feeling. They sang and cheered and clapped along with us its going to take something unearthly to top this.
The following morning we found ourselves again U.S bound with jet lag in toe we went straight to rehearsals again and the drove 7 hours to Baltimore, woh im even tired writing this and to top all that we got two hours sleep and performed on Fox TV this morning.

Ahead of us is a full day of tech rehearsals and a full run before our opening tonight.

If your coming to any of the shows you are in for some night

Bring your guinness and your singing voices we are ready!!!!!!!

THK

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
timi

Misic gives life more meaning!

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 09:22PM »

Beat me to it Rich!! Wink

Can't believe they are here and tour has started!!! Anxiously waiting to hear how the show was!!!!
jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 11:05PM »

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Exclusive new High Kings Video

Click here to view an Exclusive new High Kings Video, "The Irish Pub Song."

http://www.youtube.com/user/brendanheard
Trouble
Bodhrán Player

Play with Fire.

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 10:45PM »

I love watching that video and I love the song!

Thanks Lindsey
zankoku
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 11:16PM »

I got the free download which now is resident on my Ipod

"Never again shall one generation of veterans abandon another."

For those who fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know.

A Thiarna, déan trócaire
A Chríost, déan trócaire
A Thiarna, déan trócaire
OldFatGuy
Bodhrán Player

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 03:03PM »

Monday, May 18, 2009

Another rainy day in the Emerald Isle
Well hows it goin i thought i would drop you a few lines to say hi and let you know whats been going on so far.

We have all been extremely busy on getting the new set list right for the show and now have a huge pool of great songs that can we pick and choose from so that each night can be a different experience not only for the audience but for us too. Some come as a surprise as we test each other on the spot with something new and its a great laugh among ourselves.

Really looking forward to the gigs coming up in the summer and there are a few surprise gigs that have not been announced as yet SO WATCH THIS SPACE

Brian

If anyone has my r_ropes@bellsouth.net email address saved, you can delete it. I got tired of subsidizing AT&T.
jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 09:09PM »

Monday, May 18, 2009

Thanks to the fantastic audiences this year.
Hey everyone,

The HK would love to send their best wishes and thanks to all the amazing audiences who have come out to se us in Ireland this year.

The reaction to the shows has far exceeded our expectations, especially with the new sound/ look.

We hope to see some of you at the remaining dates/festivals around Ireland this summer.

All the very best,

Darren.

The High Kings.
jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 09:10PM »

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Thanks! Again
Hello folk's.

After our two great interview's on Shannonside Radio, and Dundalk FM, we woud like to extend our warmest thanks to all of you or tuning in, and for getting in touch with the station's from all parts of the world to say hi to us.

Huge thanks to Joe and Padraig for their time and continued support to HK.

Tomorrow is a BIG day!!

Tune in.

Much love and folk to you all,

Darren.

HK.
jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 11:34PM »

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Finbarr's New Blog

Hi Everyone,
Just posting a quick blog to let you all know what's been happening and what's coming up. Firstly I'd like to say how delighted and honored we were to be asked to perform on Pat Kenny's last "late Late Show" so Pat if your reading this "Thank you very much". After appearing on Pat's last show on Friday night May 29th we performed in the Jamboree Festival just outside Virginia, County Cavan that Saturday 30th and then on to Dundalk "an Tain" theatre that Sunday 31st where we met up with our good friend Padraig Quigley from Dundalk FM, we had a fantastic reaction from the audiences for both of our concerts which was nice.
That bring's us up to more recent events, last Friday June 5th we performed in the "Hawkswell theatre" in Sligo town, here we had a great night and the audience really enjoyed themselves, after the concert Brian and Darren were whisked off (by Brian) back to Dublin as they had flights early next day, off on their holidays (vacation to our American readers), Martin and I stayed in Sligo for the night and went for a quiet pint.
We are off for this week and the next concert's we have are for the Clancy Brothers Festival yippy! June 12th-15th, I have been looking forward to and hoping to play this Festival since I first heard it was happening, which was just before I joined the High Kings. Well now we're doing it and I couldn't be happier, This will be the highlight of my year. To play a festival in Honor of my Father and my Uncles and lets not forget Tommy Makem either! in my home town of Carrick-on-suir, County Tipperary, with the High Kings is a Huge deal to me, so I hope we play good ha, ha.
Anyway I'll let you know how we get on in the Clancy Festival and also we're playing in Galway June 18th at the Townhall which I'm also looking forward to, and I'll let you know how we get on there as well.
Until next time, take care of yourselves,
All the best

Finbarr
jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2009, 11:39PM »

Wednesday, September 09, 2009

The High Kings Added to Guinness Arthur's Day Celebrations
The High Kings have been added to a List of World Renowned Acts for the Celebrations to mark 250 years of Guinness. In a line up that includes Tom Jones, Kasabian, Paolo Nutini and Sharon Shannon, The High Kings are playing 2 sets in infamous Dublin pubs, O'Donoghues and The Brazen Head on Thursday September 24th.

The event is set to raise €6 million for the Arthur Guinness fund and The High Kings are looking forward to taking part in this prestigious event.

http://www2.guinness.com/en-IE/Pages/250-arthurs_day.aspx?me=tortk055mqc12lbhnu1vplyd#a
jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 12:08AM »

Monday, September 28, 2009

National Anthem
The High Kings had the pleasure of Singing the National Anthem for Saturday's hugely anticipated fight at the O2. The 4 lads took to the ring to perform Amhrann na Fiann in front of the sold out crowd, at the audience watching at home on RTE 2. Sadly for Bernard Dunne, it was not to be, as the local hero was defeated, handing his world title to his opponent. The High Kings would like to pay tribute to Bernard Dunne's bravery and wish him more future successes.

The fight is available to view here:
http://www.rte.ie/sport/
jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 12:09AM »

Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Irish Music Awards, MO USA

The Irish Music Association in Missouri, USA has closed it's nominations for Irish Music Awards 2009, to be held in January.

The High Kings have been nominated in 2 categories:

Top Traditional Performance show and  Top Traditional Group - In Festival Pub or Concert.

Voting begins on 7th Dec.

Click here to Vote for the Guys!

http://www.irishmusicawards.com/
jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 12:10AM »

Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Entertainment.ie article
entertainment.ie ArticleEntertainment ie article
Liam Clancy R.I.P.07 December 2009

Liam Clancy of The Clancy Brothers passed away on Friday at the age of 74.
The traditianal music luminary died from pulmonary fibrosis (scarring of the lung) after a long illness, at Bon Secours Hostpital in Cork. Clancy performed his final gig at the National Concert Hall in pay, when illness forced him to cut short the second of a two night sold out run.

A statement on Clancy's official website reads, "Liam, the last surviving member of the Clancy Brothers, is survived by his wife Kim and their four children, Eben, Siobhan, Donal and Fiona, his eight grandchildren and his sisters Joan and Peg. He will be sadly missed by family, friends and his many fans throughout the world."
Many tributes have been paid to Liam Clancy, a singer even revered by Bob Dylan, who once said that he could not "think of anybody who's a better ballad singer than Liam".

"He was a wonderful singer. There was a richness to his voice which was amazing, and a clarity of diction and enunciation which came from his grounding in theatre. To hear Liam Clancy sing was to a fantastic privilege. His passing will be greatly mourned by anyone with a love of, or a feel for, Irish folk music. But his marvellous legacy will live on."- Niall Stokes, Editor of Hot Press.

"I am very saddened to hear about the passing of Liam Clancy ... Liam Clancy, along with his brothers, kicked-open a very important door for Irish music and artists in the USA. " - Darren Holden of The High Kings

"Liam Clancy was a nationally and internationally renowned folk singer and was an example of an absolutely dedicated artistic craftsman. This generous and life-giving person enriched all of our lives with memorable songs and was part of the fabric of Ireland’s proud traditional music culture." – Martin Cullen, Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism

entertainment.ie
jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2010, 12:11AM »

Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Hot Press article with quote from Darren.
Monday, December 07, 2009 HOT PRESS ARTICLE
hotpress.com Logo..

Liam Clancy 1935-2009
04 Dec 2009
The great Irish ballad singer Liam Clancy has died at Bon Secours Hospital in Cork.

He died as a result of pulmonary fibrosis – the medical term for scarring of the lung. He was aged 74.Described by Bob Dylan as the greatest ballad singer of them all, Clancy was a legend in Irish music.Coming from Carick-On-Suir in Tipperary, Liam emigrated to the US in 1956 and along with his brothers Paddy, Bobby and Tom, became involved in the theatrical scene in New York.He first emerged as a star as part of The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem, who played the hugely influential Ed Sullivan Show in 1961 – and never looked back. They became a huge succcess in the US singing raucous Irish rebel songs and emotional ballads – and returned to Ireland as stars. On the Ed Sullivan Show they had worn bawneen jumpers – or Aran sweaters – which became their trademark stage gear for many years afterwards.Liam was the youngest and last-surviving member of the group. All of the group died relatively young: Tom at 66, Paddy at 76, Bobby at 75 and Tommy Makem at 74.

Regarded by many as the finest singer in the Clancys, Liam also enjoyed a very successfulsolo career, which highlighted his unique delivery of songs and his extraordinary interpretative ability.“He was a wonderful singer,” Niall Stokes, Editor of Hot Press said. “There was a richness to his voice which was amazing, and a clarity of diction and enunciation which came from his grounding in theatre. To hear Liam Clancy sing was to a fantastic privilege. His passing will be greatly mourned by anyone with a love of, or a feel for, Irish folk music. But his marvellous legacy will live on.”The film The Yellow Bittern, directed by Alan Gilsenan, and released in 2009, is a fine tribute to one of the great legends of Irish music. Liam’s last album The Wheels of Life was released late in 2008 and was voted the No.2 album in the Hot Press Folk Albums of the Year in the latest issue of the magazine, which hit the newstands yesterday.

“I am very saddened to hear about the passing of Liam Clancy. I know he had been ill for a little while, but news like this still comes as a shock,” Darren Holden of The High Kings said on hearing the news. “Liam Clancy, along with his brothers, kicked-open a very important door for Irish music and artists in the USA. That door remains open today for countless singers from our country and indeed The High Kings, which features Liam’s nephew, Finbarr.“I talked to Finbarr a little while ago from New York and he is overwhelmed by the amount of calls and messages of sympathy that the family have received. Liam Clancy was a legend, a poet and musical diplomat, the likes of which will never be seen again.”

Thew Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism, Martin Cullen also paid tribute.“Liam Clancy was a nationally and internationally renowned folk singer and was an example of an absolutely dedicated artistic craftsman,” the Minister said. ”This generous and life-giving person enriched all of our lives with memorable songs and was part of the fabric of Ireland’s proud traditional music culture.“Universally known as a folk singer, Liam – as both a soloist and as a member of The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem – greatly enhanced the reputation of Ireland and Irish music. Their performances during the folk music revival era set them apart from others, particularly in the States and Liam’s superb singing, warm voice and gift for communicating in a unique story telling style with his audience, attracted the appreciation and admiration of people everywhere.

"It was always so obvious with Liam Clancy that he loved what he was doing, and his precsence made you feel welcome. People in An Rinn in Waterford, in Carrick-on-Suir, and around the world, will mourn his passing. I extend my deepest condolences to his wife, his children and his extended family at this sad time."

HotPress also extends it's most heartfelt condolences to Liam's family and friends at such a sad time. The world has lost a great artist. RIP

jillebeans
Honorary Roadie

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2010, 12:12AM »

Monday, December 14, 2009

Munster Express Newspaper Report.

Monday, December 14, 2009 Munster Express Newspaper Report.

Good night and joy be with you, Liam
By Dermot Keyes. Published on Friday, December 11th, 2009 at 4:37 pm
It was the sort of day that Liam Clancy would have revelled writing about. Orating about. Singing about.
A grey and moody sky hung over Helvick, complimented by a cutting, wild wind skirting in from the sea that would have left even the hardiest of folk longing for indoors and its many comforts. Company. Family. A high stool. Craic. A guitar. Life and all its many glories.
But Monday was no ordinary day. For Liam Clancy’s stories are now told, his songs are now sung, the guitar and concertina now quietened, the final curtain on the stage of his life now drawn.
“Have ye no homes to go to?” were whimsical words which surely ran through minds in Dungarvan, in his native Carrick-on-Suir and indeed the world over as Liam was laid to rest in An Rinn.
That his was a life well lived was spelled out eloquently by Father Conchúir Ó Ceallaigh, Parish Priest of An Rinn, whose words of tribute would have earned warm palms from Liam himself.
“It has been said that God made Man because he loves stories,” said Fr Ó Ceallaigh during his homily before a packed church.
“And the stories that He told well need great storytellers. And if that be so, then the Lord has called to Himself a great storyteller in Liam Clancy. And in song and verse, we can believe that the Lord is enjoying some wonderful stories now.”
Fr Ó Ceallaigh then shared the first poem he ever learned from Liam with the congregation, words he learned from a Clancy record when just a teenager, the words of French poet Charles Baudelaire.
“One should always be drunk. That’s all that matters; So as not to feel Time’s horrible burden that breaks your shoulders and bows you down, you must get drunk without ceasing.
“But what with? With wine, with poetry, or with virtue, as you choose. But get drunk. So that you may not be the martyred slave of Time, get drunk, get drunk and never pause for rest. With wine, with poetry, or with virtue, as you choose.”
Fr Ó Ceallaigh added, to laughter from those assembled: “I’d like to think that Liam wouldn’t be expected a priest to stand up here in front of all of you this morning and say ‘get drunk’.
“But then I don’t think he was speaking about the inebriation that comes from a lot of alcohol so much as he was speaking about the intoxication that comes from being passionately involved with and totally committed to what you were doing.”
Speaking of Liam Clancy’s “joie de vivre, the exuberant spirit of a life lived to the full,” Fr Ó Ceallaigh said that through his music and performing, Liam helped others to share in that same sense of exuberance.
“He brought happiness to so many people that he had to have a reservoir of joy within himself.”
An intelligent man and a deep thinker, Liam Clancy was a man who felt deeply about his family, friends and life in general, Fr Ó Ceallaigh told mourners.
“Such a person reminds us that we can often live our lives in a much too shallow way. Liam would, no doubt (tell us) that life is too wonderful and mysterious to just get through each day by skimming the surface of experience.”
Liam Clancy, a man with a great sense of humour, offered himself to the world as he was, never trying to be anyone other than himself, added Fr Ó Ceallaigh.
“He was sincere and passionate about what he believed was right. He never gave less than his best and he stood up and was counted when it came to things that others might have kept quiet about.
“He lived to the full all the years that were given him and now as he leaves this world behind, he enters into an even bigger story and into a fullness of life that we can only guess at.”
Fr Ó Ceallaigh, sounding a note that many surely shared since last Friday’s sad news from Cork, spoke of Liam Clancy being reunited with his family and friends who had gone before him.
“The great band is together again and the music is fierce and the craic is mighty.”
Among the congregation were many of Liam’s colleagues from the world of music, including Paddy Reilly, Finbar and Eddie Furey, Liam Ó Maonlaí and Darren Holden, who performs with Liam’s nephew Finbarr in The High Kings.
Also present were ‘Yellow Bittern’ director Alan Gilsenan, broadcaster Sean Bán Breathnach and Donncha Gough of traditional group Danú.
Minister for Arts, Tourism and Sport Martin Cullen represented the Government at the Funeral Mass, while Deputy John Deasy, Dungarvan Mayor Damien Geoghegan and Councillors from Dungarvan and Carrick Town Councils were also present.
President McAleese was represented by Aide de Camp Captain Brian Walsh while the Taoiseach Mr Cowen was represented by Aide de Camp Commandant Michael Treacy.
Fr Ó Ceallaigh was joined in the celebration of the Requiem Mass by Fathers William Ryan, Paul Waldron, Richard Geoghegan, Milo Guiry, Brendan Crowley, John Kiely, Seamus Humphries OSA, Paddy Creed and Flor O’Callaghan.
The ceremony began with music from Kevin Evans and Paul Grant, who performed a medley of tunes made famous by Liam Clancy.
Son-in-law Cárthach MacCraith sang ‘Ag Chríost an Síol’ and ‘Ár nAthair’, while his son Dónal played the traditional farewell lament, ‘Mo Ghile Mear’, which the congregation spontaneously began to hum before breaking into heartfelt, dignified song.
During the bi-lingual ceremony, Liam’s coffin was adorned by his concertina and corduroy cap, a photo of him performing and a copy of the collected poems of William Butler Yeats, its spine held intact by Sellotape.
As Liam Clancy’s remains were lowered into the earth in An Rinn, a rainbow shot across the sky, while the air was filled with the strains of ‘Will Ye Go Lassie Go’ and ‘The Parting Glass’.
Liam Clancy, the youngest of 11 siblings, was born in William Street, Carrick-on-Suir on September 2nd 1935, son of Robert Joseph Clancy and Joanna McGrath.
He is survived by his wife Kim, their four children Fiona and Siobhán, Eben and Dónal, daughter Anya (from a previous relationship), sisters Joan and Peg along with his eight grandchildren.

http://www.munster-express.ie/community-notes/carrick/good-night-and-joy-be-with-you-liam/
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: